Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Am I A Christian?

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' 45Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 46And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
Matthew 25:41-46

So theres a quote. It's not by Bono, Ghandi or Mandella. It's from Jesus. So I can't ignore it, discard it, forget it or not count it as being a way to live my life.
But I do. Daily.

You see when I go for a walk down the town and I see people with wee boxes clollecting money and I look at the ground. I see homeless people on the streets and I cross the road. I get annoyed when someone has the arrogance to ask me for my money or my time. I'm not rich you know.

Rob Bell in his Nooma video Rich states some interesting facts:
Only 8% of the world has a car.
Do you I have a car?
I do.
We to 92% of the world are rich.

Nearly 1 billion people still don't have access to clean drinking water. I have taps in my house that give me that. I am rich.

But if I have these things. If I in the worlds eyes am rich, in light of what Jesus says must ask another question:
Am I really a Christian?

Tony Campolo was speaking in a sleepy american church when he said:

I have three things I'd like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don't give a shit. What's worse is that you're more upset with the fact that I said shit than the fact that 30,000 kids died last night.”

Maybe you don't like that quote. If its made you feel uncomfortable then don't re-read the Jesus quote at the top. Could make you feel a lot more uncomfortable. it did to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment