Wednesday, 6 January 2010

Saved!


Okay I have watched the film Saved! two days running and I think i love it. If any of you haven't seen it heres the basic plot:

Good girl Mary (Jena Malone) can’t believe it when she gets pregnant by her newly-gay boyfriend. She also can’t believe the actions of her popular, relentlessly devout best friend, Hilary Faye (Mandy Moore), who's looking after her wheelchair-bound brother Roland (Macaulay Culkin), attempting to convert adamantly Jewish Cassandra (Eva Amurri), and trying to snag cute newcomer Patrick (Patrick Fugit), a hip skateboarding missionary. By the time Mary’s secret is revealed, Hilary Faye has gone to extremes to get the outsiders expelled from school, with spectacular results, and Mary is forced to decide what’s worth believing in the first place.

and yes I copied and pasted that....

Ok so some christians ridiculed the film for being blashphemous and wrong and giving Christianity a bad image... but I found the film to be a beautiful film which satirically pointed out problems with mainstream christianity today. If the film disgusts many Christians they should see their lives.

The characters go around doing things that have became all to familliar in our society. Trying to get people 'saved' by saying a quick prayer. Getting them 'in'. They guilt trip eachother using Jesus' name and they use prayer meetings and prayer points for an oppurtunity to gossip.

I felt one of the most heatbreaking parts of the film as a christian was when mary after she discovered she was pregnant shouted at a large picture of the cross 'Goddam' with tears in her eyes. The people she had been surrounded by had put her off the one she would have needed to surround her.

I thought it was a message we all needed to hear when Mary told Hilary ( a girl trying to be some perfect christian) that she didn't know the first thing about love and that the Bible is not a weapon.

The other line that broke my heart a bit was when she said:

'So everything that doesn't fit into some stupid idea of what you think God wants you just hide or fix or get rid of?'

Ouch.

My housemate Chris McCune has been talking to me a lot about living out our stories. he has a few blogs about it too. Chris is the kinda guy that makes you think.. and him and this film combined are maing me think..

Do I as a christian in my story try and hide or fix things that don't fit into my idea of what God wants?

Do I in my story use the Bible as a weapon?

Do we as Christians know the first thing about love?

Have you ever read a story from another time or culture and some bits have gone over your head?

I wonder if my idea of getting 'saved' is like that? Do I talk about it and people haven't a clue what it means cos I just through it out there??
Saved! was a great film.

A moving story.

But the Christianity I saw in it was ugly. But not unfamiliar. However great saved was I don't want that to be my story.

However one of the last lines of the film I love.

It could be the start of a new story:

Life is too amazing to be this random and meaningless consequence of the universe. There had to be a God or something out there. Something outside. You Just have to feel it...

Life is a journey, a story, a poem or a song and I think I'm ready to live it...

1 comment:

  1. I love this film

    My fav bit, and what I feel is the climax is the bit at the end where the gay guy comes to the prom, and after the pastor trying to chase him away, looks him in the eye and says;

    "I know in my heart that Jesus loves me"

    I think that sums up the message of Christianity, and so many people use it and interpret as a message of hate and condemnation. Jesus loves people, better still, he likes them! The people Jesus got angry at were never the sinners, they were the self-righteous religious types. Thankfully I can relate to the former. Grace saves us, not works...

    Amen :-)

    ReplyDelete