Monday, 23 November 2009

But Was Jesus Funny??

Romans 8:29 (New International Version - UK)

For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

This verse is the verse that many LOVE to talk about as it gives us a chance to hear thie views on predestination. Luckily for you I'ts not predestination thats been on my mind. It's the next bit.

"to be conformed to the likeness of his Son"

We are to become like Jesus..

And what? I hear you say, We've had this drummed into us for years, be nice, love the trees, turn the other cheek blah blah blah! But this has been troubling me recently. I feel I'm on some sorta journey. You could call it finding myself if thats not too Dawsons Creek-esque. And I'm finding I try so hard to be a million people. I want to have the swagger of Liam Gallagher, be as attention grabbing as Russell Brand whilst dressing like a young Alex Turner and quoting Pete Doherty lyrics... I guess I try to be like all these people because I respect them. I respect Jesus and all but how can I be like him?? How did he dress? was Jesus funny? what kind of muisc did he listen to? You see these are the things I think of when trying to be like somebody, because I'm obsessed with the exterior. People can see that and thats what matters right?

"People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7b

Oh..

I see..

I'm kinda getting this now.. but what is the heart? how does Jesus want my heart? how do I change my heart? when you have a 'change of heart' it normally isn't because you decided to.. right?

Guess God can change our hearts though? break them, shape them? we just have to give them to him..

but that might mean he changes us..

and I'm pretty funny and great. Difficult. I'm slowly figuring out I'm not that great though. God is great. And Jesus is great. And I've got to spend time with him letting him seep into my heart. easy said (typed) not easy done.

Not all journey's are easy and I'm on a journey. I don't know if people read this. or if they are on a journey. I hope so. and I hope you are

MK

No comments:

Post a Comment